We’ve got a bun in the oven! We are about 16 weeks in and due at the end of July. The decision was both an easy and hard one. Yes, I am considered high-risk given my history; having had one preemie increases the chances I could have another. And yes, as many of you know, having a child in the NICU is … hard. And not something you ever want to do again. But having a child period is a great joy, and when you have a child like Calder, how could you resist wanting a number two? :) I make light, but let's just say we gave the decision a lot of thought.
I am getting ready to switch practices in about the next week, where I will begin seeing a group of docs at GWU that specialize in high-risk pregnancies. This also means I will deliver at GWU, which has only a Level III NICU as opposed to the Level IV we had at Fairfax; I didn’t want to leave the wonderful care I knew we’d find at Fairfax but a) even though I have weighed the NICU into my decision greatly, I am very optimistic we won’t need it, and b) I’ll be seeing the doctor possibly weekly and at the least, every two weeks, and there is a possibility I’ll need to be on bed rest, so Fairfax, which is not close, was looking increasingly unrealistic. If the baby were to need a higher level NICU, as Calder did, my understanding is that s/he would be airlifted to Children’s, a Level IV, which, having been frequently for Calder’s specialists and having heard many good things about the care at that NICU, too, we’re comfortable with. So, assuming I like these docs, I have found an option in the District. I’ll be receiving a weekly dose of Makena, which is relatively new on the market (I think approved by the FDA in 2011) but has been found to decrease your chances of preterm delivery, at least by a little, so at the moment, the decision is, yes, we’ll take it. I am very hopeful though that the shots will not leave me sore in the hip/leg for three days, as I hear they do, or any of the other lovely side effects hormones tend to cause when injected into your body but yes, I do realize that all sounds like drivel compared to what it could help prevent.
Calder is really doing wonderfully. After all that sickness in the fall, we have really managed to ward it off very successfully this winter. (Knock on wood.) In no small part, of course, because we’re keeping him isolated. After that MONTH of sickness, maybe longer, I decided that regardless of what the doctor told me (“He’s a normal kid now.”), I personally could not handle him being sick again. The one night had scared me half out of my mind, not to mention that none of us were sleeping, and that gets old fast. Low and behold, when we went in to see the doctor in early January for his 18-month appointment, this time a (different) doctor said, “I am SO glad you are keeping him isolated. This flu season has been very bad, for both the flu and RSV, so I would recommend that you continue to keep him isolated.” Can I call that a mother’s intuition, or just selfishness?
We did take him to Cincinnati for Christmas, despite the big flu scare. I'd been monitoring the news and CDC flu map for weeks, and had friends warning me of its severity, so once we arrived at my parents' house, well, we stayed put. But that didn't mean Calder had any less fun. In fact, usually relegated to our row house in DC, Calder was probably in heaven in his new environment.
|No one's glasses are safe!|
|Last one of these, right, guys?|
|Running the Capitol|