Thursday, December 26, 2013

Joy to the World!

Of course, Christmas was pretty special this year. For obvious reasons. :)


There aren’t really words to describe how blessed I feel to have our baby home, that he survived, some might say against the odds. As a preemie mom seeking guidance in various ways, I’m always trolling listservs, websites and Facebook pages that have sprung up to support parents in our situation (and what a community it is!) Along the way I have discovered countless inspiring stories, many much like our own, but all unique. And sometimes, the parents have to be strong for much different reasons. While I know challenges lay ahead, I am so thankful that we get to hug and squeeze our little man today.


Because of Calder’s lack of an immune system -- which I know I’ve mentioned already a thousand times, but hey, it’s a big deal -- not to mention the logistics of traveling with a G-tube-fed baby and a mom who spends half her life pumping … we stayed home.


Opa!



This is only the second Christmas that I can remember spending away from my family in Cincinnati (the first being the year I lived in India.) So this year was different, but still as magical as I could have hoped for. Kraemer kindly agreed to support my hankering for holiday décor, so while my mom babysat (she stayed on a week after Thanksgiving while Kraemer was in Ukraine for work), we scurried down two blocks to pick out a tree, and Kraemer carried it home for us (my hero!) We took a short drive down to a local elementary school to pick up some garland and berries, and later Kraemer scored some lights from CVS. My mom had brought all the ornaments my parents had given me over the years crafted by women at our church bazaar; between those, a new ornament from the Juban’s for Calder’s first Christmas and a set Kraemer brought back from Kiev, wouldn’t you know it, our 6-footer was sparkly and full. Garland and lights graced our front door, our mantels and our banister, the latter being Calder’s favorite.


Calder smiles more now, and we had fun dressing him up over the holidays in all his Christmas gear from friends and family. I don’t know what we’re going to do when Christmas is over – for now, bouncing the kid on our knees and singing him Christmas carols is a go-to when he starts to fuss.


On a more medical note, the appointment with the physiatrist was very positive. Calder loves new faces so squirmed happily on the table as the nurse practitioner and doctor took their turns with him. While they certainly cannot rule out certain conditions that may present themselves later in life, both were very satisfied with his behavior and growth and were optimistic about the future. In fact, we don’t have to go back for another visit for three months.


Calder is now super active, at least as active as a non-mobile baby could possibly be, and one of his favorite places to have fun is on his changing table, right after his bath. As evidenced below.


Right now, the child can all asleep sitting up. For his sake, I hope he maintains that capability.


7 comments:

  1. Loving this post! Great pictures, especially the three of you and Calder sleeping sitting up. So glad you had a magical and blessed Christmas with your newly expanded family. Love and hugs! Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you guys at Christmas!! And your birthday and NYE. Can't wait til we can bring Calder home to meet everyone. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the videos...look at him go! Maybe he'll become an Olympic swimmer, huh? :) Glad you guys are having fun and he's growing like a weed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I think today when he did that on the pulm's table he was worried Calder was burning too many calories!

      Delete
    2. Ahh, to be in the position of burning TOO many calories...:)

      Delete
  3. You don't know me but I am a distant cousin of yours. My grandmother Irene Starkey and your grandmother Verna are sisters. Your mom gave me the info for your blog and I have enjoyed learning about your incredible son! I am a family nurse practitioner in Sandusky Ohio and I previously worked at Toledo Hosp in the NICU for 5 years. I loved that job and met so many wonderful families like yourselves. It was such a rewarding job and there were so many miracle children that I had the privilege to care for. I then went on to do home care for the kids who left the NICU. Calder will continue to grow and get stronger every day and it sounds like you have so many people who love and care for you. I just wanted you to know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers even though you don't know me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dianne. It's very nice to hear from you and very kind of you to write! Thank you for reading through Calder's story. We so appreciate the thoughts and prayers. It's reassuring too to know that a NICU nurse, a breed of nurse we have very high respect for, went on to do home care for kids previously in the NICU. We are in the process of finding a home nurse for Calder and not too sure what to expect. Our NICU nurses have set the bar so high! :) Thank you for your sweet words and encouragement.

      Delete